Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

12.05.2005

Of Picks And Axes...

Secure Communication Request Sent
Awaiting Response From CENTCOM...

...

Response Received - Switching to Encrypted Mode Channel

...

Transmission Start...


Ah, the joys of Home Ownership! Spent the weekend trenching out my backyard for a sprinkler system. And, though I am a technophile by trade and hobby, I prefer to do some of those type of tasks Old School. So one trip to Home Depot, some surveyor stakes, orange ribbon, a five pound sledge hammer, and one pickaxe later, I begin my odyssey of digging a trench by hand.

Now, mind you, the most physical activity I have done (until recently, that is) for the past few years is type at my keyboard and move some computers around. Combine that with the fact that my lot is made of something bordering on clay, with huge rocks every so often, and one is left with a rather amusing mental image.

I ended up with some impressive blisters (not all of them popped), a sore back, and a sunburn.

Awesome!

The Wife took Tiny with her to go shopping, and Little Man helped me with my digging. Now by "helped me with my digging" I mean in such a method that a two year old can possibly help. He did grab onto the pickaxe and we took some small swings at the ground together. He decided that he wanted to do something that Dad dinna hafta help him with, so he left that part to me, and instead, began moving all rocks that he could carry / throw towards the wall of the yard. After he tired of THAT, he grabbed my square point shovel, and started dragging it all over the yard, flattening the dirt. Next came rock jumping (sans shovel). There was a particularly large rock that was the most fun apparently. That sucker was a pain to get outta the ground (weighs in at near 50+ pounds).

Now I have next weekend to drop in the piping, hook up controls, establish the points where the sprinklers will pop out, and I will be ready to start laying down topsoil and sod.

In the past, I can not really say that I have ever really enjoyed doing any of this type of work. however, now that I own the property that is being worked on, I actually kinda look forward to it!

Weird.

End Transmission...